Saturday, May 7, 2016

The Mummy With Tom Cruise & Russell Crowe

Tom Cruise filming Universal's The Mummy. Let me specify again, this is NOT The Mummy with Brandon Fraser we are talking about, rather, The Mummy which originally starred Boris Karloff, and I expect really great things from this franchise. If you haven't seen Dracula Untold with Luke Evans, that was the first installment, so it would be a good idea to,.. you know,... watch it.
To begin with, I thought I could be finished with Captain America: Civil War by now; I'm not; but I am planning on working through the night to get it up because I am booked for Mother's Day, so let me tell you two things. First, please go and see the film; if you can, see it with someone, because you will probably want to talk to someone about it afterwards, it's that good.
Russell Crowe filming The Nice Guys; he has affirmed he has signed on with Tom Cruise to play Dr. Henry Jekyll in The Mummy re-make, which means, since he's such a principle character, he will probably have more than one film for this role since the Universal monsters are all coming together in X-Men and Avengers-group films.
Second, there are two credit scenes, one mid-way through and the second at the very end of the crawl, so plan on staying for the whole post-film thing, it's worth it. A reviewer at Cinemablend said the airport fight was probably the greatest super hero fight ever,... I have to agree, if for no other reason than it's so funny,... if for no other funny reason than Sam and Bucky not getting along. IF you are not planning on seeing it this weekend, I can highly recommend that you take time to re-visit Captain America: the First Avenger. It's been awhile since most of us have watched that and, I am happy to say, I was right about something: in the trailers, we see Cap fighting Iron Man and Cap is worn out, but says, "I can do this all day," and I thought he said that during First Avenger, and I was right he says it twice, so look for two scenes when he does.
And now,...
Sofia Boutella with co-star Samuel L Jackson for The Kingman Secret Service in which she portrayed the girl on the stump legs. She's also in Star Trek Beyond (released this summer) and she will portray the Queen Mummy in The Mummy. Now, there is an excellent question of "gender-bending" and is this, like Ghostbusters, an example of "wealth re-distribution" in giving women roles originally created for men (Boutella will be taking Boris Karloff's role). I don't think this is an example of that, because we know the original stories--while inspiring the new films--are also being updated to reflect our current culture, and when you read the synopsis that has been released for the film, I think you will understand what kind of "update" we are getting!
The synopsis of the film has been released (I am cutting and pasting so I don't have to spend a lot of time retyping; thank you for over-looking my lack of professinalism,... in this and other instances):

The new "Mummy" follows an ancient queen (Boutella) whose destiny was unjustly taken from her is awakened in our current day after years of safely entombed in a crypt deep beneath the unforgiving desert. It brings with her malevolence grown over millennia and terrors that defy human comprehension. From the sweeping sands of the Middle East through hidden labyrinths under modern-day London, The Mummy brings a surprising intensity and balance of wonder and thrills in an imaginative new take that ushers in a new world of gods and monsters. (http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00096975.html)

Supposedly, Cruise portrays an American soldier (Navy Seal?) who thinks he is entering a terrorist cell in the Middle East, but accidentally enters the Mummy's tomb and gets cursed. Well, if she's an ancient feminist, which is what she sounds like, then yea, he found the terrorist's cell, maybe not the one he was looking for, but he found one.
Eat Your Art Out,
The Fine Art Diner